22 April 2015

Serendipity

Many things happen just by chance.

If they are happy things it is serendipity.

It is finding something or someone nice without looking for it

Or them.

Whichever the case may be.

Serendipity.

I like the word.

I love the concept.

Some things are meant to be.

I also like the word surreptitious.

It has nothing to do with serendipity but it is just one of those words I like.

I like all words

They do it for me

Some words I like better than others.

It can be the way that they sound or what they mean.

I just like them.

One of my favourite writers Haruki Murakami wrote, “When the orbits of these two satellites of ours happened to cross paths we could be together. Maybe even open our hearts to each other. But that was only for the briefest moment. In the next instant we’d be in absolute solitude. Until we burned up and became nothing”

It is the crossing of paths that is serendipity.

It is fate.

I am a believer in it.

I don't care whether you believe in it or not. I don't even know who who you are.

I don't give a fuck.

Not that all things are necessarily meant to be - but more that we all of us at certain times in our lives reach those forks in the road where the choice of what path we take defines our destiny.

You know what I mean.

Serendipitous moments are not really that. It is more when we by pure accident find something that is delightful and wonderful when we weren’t actually looking for it.

Some of us get lucky that way.

Most of us battle for what is left over.

I have had some ponderings of late.

What could have been.

What should have been.

Pretty much every relationship that we humans have commences by happenstance. Even the most fundamental of all relationships – that of parent and child starts entirely by coincidence. Babies are born by whatever serendipity that bought Mummy and Daddy together and children have no choice at all over the relationship that is arguably most important to their very existence.

By contrast friends and lovers select each other but even those choices are simply a by-product of whatever random event that paths crossed.

“What is luck?” a wise man once asked.

“But the opportunity to exploit accidents”

I know of course that life and love are funny things and a turn of events or a chance meeting might seem quite trite at the time of it’s happening but we never really know do we?

How could we?

Life is short.

Live it fast.

Be brave.

Be bold.

If I were asked what I was bought into this life to do I would have to confess that I didn’t know - but whatever I do I will do it loud.

I will live as large as I can and with whatever I have and I will be as reckless as I possibly I can.

I won’t dwell on what could have been or what should have been or sulk with regret  - because what’s the point in that?

I will push on and take as much joy as I can in just being.

And I will wait for those sweet moments of serendipity.
  

No comments :

Post a Comment